Braxfield Recruitment have been appointed by a housing provider based in Croydon who are currently looking to recruit a Service Charge Officer on an interim contract for a period of 6 months +.
The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering an effective service charge process, liaising with residents in line with legal requirements.
You will support the investigation and modification of charge in response to residents' enquiries and support the delivery of Section 20 consultations across the company on centrally procured contracts qualifying as long-term agreement, to ensure the company can recover relevant sums via service charges.
Other duties as a Service Charge Officer will include:
- Analysing and validating data from various source systems and spreadsheets in order to prepare Annual Statements of Accounts, Annual Service Charge Estimates, Service Charge Estimates for New Developments in line with Tenancy Agreements, Leases, Head Leases, Service Charge Deeds, terms of transfer and Statutory Obligations.
- Maintaining and amending structures within the Orchard service charge system in line with Tenancy Agreements, Leases and Statutory Obligations, in order to facilitate accurate and appropriate apportionment of charges.
- Continuously reviewing utility codes and expenditure and establishing correct utility apportionments through liaison with relevant colleagues (such as the Energy Contact Analyst) and ensure payment arrangements via the Group utility contract.
- Undertaking the delivery of Section 20 Consultations.
- Qualifying Long Term Agreements and Planned / Programmed Maintenance contracts.
- Preparing Section 20 notices / supporting documents including proofing to improve quality and accuracy.
- Supporting the periodical monitoring of service charge accounts throughout the financial year.
- Assist with analysing data, identifying trends, reporting key issues and taking action to help ensure that maximum performance is achieved and that activities comply with statutory obligations.
To be considered for the role of Service Charge Officer you must have the following:
- Previous experience as a Service Charge Officer working for a housing provider or local authority.
- Knowledge and/or experience of both fixed and variable service charge delivery.
- Knowledge and/or experience of Service Charge legislation including Landlords and Tenant Act 1985, Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, Service Charge (Consultation Requirements) (England) Regulations 2003).
- Knowledge of interpreting leases, legal agreements, service charge deeds, terms of transfer and tenancy agreements.
- Knowledge / Experience of management of properties on long leases, variable service charges and Section 20 Consultation requirements.
- Experience of undertaking Section 20 Consultation or a clear demonstration of the understanding and application of relevant legislative/regulatory requirements.
Job title: Service Charge Officer
Contract: 6 months +
Rate: £24 - £28 p/h (dependant on experience)
If this sounds like something you may be interested in and for more information, please submit a copy of your up to date CV and we will be in touch.