Braxfield Recruitment are a leading recruitment agency working within the social housing sector. We have been appointed by a housing provider in Essex who are looking to recruit and experienced Housing Solutions Officer on an interim contract.
The Housing Solutions Team is part of the Housing Choice Department (the strategic housing service) and sits within the Housing Solutions Service. Its primary function is to prevent homelessness by helping customers retain their current accommodation and, where this cannot be achieved, provide access to a range of suitable alternative housing options fulfilling the Council’s statutory obligations as set out in the Housing Act 1996 (as amended) and the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017.
The successful candidate will be responsible for assessing customers’ housing needs and wishes in line with the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, producing and agreeing a personalised housing plan which you will keep under regular review until a long-term, sustainable housing solution is secured.
Using your experience in customer service you will work holistically with customers on both their short term housing needs as well as their longer term aspirations. You will manage a caseload, drawing in support and assistance from other statutory and voluntary organisations as appropriate to help customers achieve their housing goals and increase their life opportunities moving forward.
Other duties as a Housing Solution Officer will include:
- Regularly undertaking comprehensive housing needs’ assessments of customers’ who are at significant risk of homelessness and may face multiple disadvantages as a result.
- Producing and agreeing personalised housing plans for customers which outline personal sensitive information, prioritising pro-active steps to prevent homelessness in the first instance.
- Providing specialist advice across a whole range of complex issues such as housing, welfare benefits, financial well-being and employment, referring customers to specialist agencies and departments for additional assistance where appropriate.
- Negotiating with hosts, landlords and lenders, taking any other action as appropriate in order to prevent or relieve homelessness until an alternative long-term, sustainable housing solution can be secured.
- Representing applicants in court, at case conferences and appeal hearings and in their dealings with other agencies as required in the pursuit of the prevention or relief of homelessness.
- Delivering innovative, tailored solutions to meet housing need using a variety of means including close liaison with the Private Rented Sector Team to secure good quality, affordable private rented accommodation through one of the Council’s private sector access schemes.
- And much more!
To be considered for the position of Housing Solution Officer you must have the following:
- An understanding and awareness of housing issues, the initiatives designed to tackle and prevent homelessness, and of government policy relating to housing need and homelessness
- Knowledge of Housing Act 1996 (as amended), Localism Act 2011, Welfare Reform Act 2012 and the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 included related Codes of Guidance and case law.
- Awareness of a range of available housing options and support services.
- Proven experience of working in a frontline customer focussed environment.
- Demonstrable experience of working in the public sector housing field or similar environment.
- Experience of using Housing Jigsaw (essential).
Job title: Housing Solutions Officer
Contract: 3 months +
Rate: £18.00 PAYE - £22.43 LTD
If this sounds like something you may be interested in and for more information, please submit a copy of your updated CV and one of our consultants will be in touch.